Saturday, May 2, 2015

Manyung and Wilsons Prom

Me on the wobbly stairs at Camp Manyung
This morning, my dad woke up early to visit with Camp Manyung's director, Maree. My brother, mom, and and I got up later and met Maree and my dad in the dining hall. We had breakfast with all of the 5th and 6th graders who were enrolled. 

Manyung, like Kangaroobie and most other camps in Australia, operates year round, and has 3 day sessions.  School groups come to Manyung for one session, once a year, which I think is pretty cool.  It would be fun to take a break from school for three days, in the middle of the year. 

Maree let Dacha and me try the high ropes course with one of the school groups. The course had many different obstacles and was almost completely accessible for kids in wheelchairs. It was pretty nerve-wrecking walking on wobbly stairs 25+ ft. off the ground!  Everybody seemed very nice there, and it felt like the staff had experience working with kids.

feeding the rosellas
We left Manyung around 11am and continued our drive southeast toward Wilson's Promentory, a huge state park.  When we parked our caravan, I spotted a duck and wanted to feed it, but little did I know there were other birds in the trees who wanted food.  Five minutes later I found myself feeding beautiful birds are that are perched all over my body!!!!!  Red and Rainbow Larakeets ate right out of my hand!  Now that was even more exiting than seeing a koala eat.

Then, We went on a wildlife walk where we saw all kinds of birds, like emus and magpies.  We also got to see heaps of kangaroos and wallabies from about five feet away!  What was breathtaking was seeing the sunset over the ocean.  We got to see the full sun, and then 15 minutes later, it was completely gone!  The sky turned red, and pink, and really dark blue as the sun made its dramatic, colorful, flamboyant descent down to the other side of our planet.  (Ok, that was a little much, but it was awesome.). Today was extraordinary and beautiful.
Sunset over the Indian / Southern Ocean

1 comment:

  1. I've tried rope walks before, but they didn't have obstacles and they were only about... 13ft. off the ground
    ? maybe? haha idk. and also ...... JEALOUSY, you got to feed birds that were walkin' all over you. that is super cool.

    ReplyDelete