Monday, May 4, 2015

Quick! What's the Capital of Australia?

My brother and I standing in front of an old Holden.
Today, we drove to Canberra, the capital of Australia.  Canberra is a planned city that is built to look open and symmetrical.  There, we went to the National Museum of Australia were we saw Aboriginal art.  We learned a lot about the history of Australia.  The museum displayed everything from the native people, plants and animals, to the effect the newly-introduced species of plants and animals had on Australian wildlife.  I learned how Australia was discovered by European explorers, settled by Europeans, and how the industry grew from gold rush, to farming and the car industry.  Here is a picture of me and my brother in front of one of the first Holdens, an Australian automobile. 

We also saw a 2008 video of the Prime Minister give an apology speech for the way the Australian government and the European settlers had treated the Aboriginal people.  That speech was probably one of the most important speeches in all of Australian history.  I really enjoyed this museum because it was interactive, and it gave me a really good taste of Australia.

The Australian Parliament (similar to the British one)
Also in Canberra, we visited the Australian Houses of Parliament.  It was beautifully decorated, with various flower displays and fountains here and there.  Sadly, we got there five minutes before it closed, but we got to take a peek at the actual room where the Parliament makes laws.  It was interesting how there were pews in which citizens could sit in, and watch the Parliament make laws.  I wanted to sit there for one of the sessions, but alas, we had to keep going on our adventure.  This is me in the House Chambers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment