Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sacred Spaces

Dacha and I celebrated sunset at Uluru with some OJ.
Today, in Uluru, we have the pleasure of riding camels.  My dad and I shared a camel named Taz, and my mother and brother got Pete.  We got up at 5am and took a bus to the camel stable.  Our guide explained how to mount the camels and we started our ride at 6:20am to see the sunrise.  I was a little disappointed that today wasn't "hump day," (Wednesday), but whenever you ride a camel, it's always hump day!  They are very gentle animals and they do sometimes make funny noises.  I learned that they regurgitate their food three or four times!  Now that's a commitment to chewing your food well.

HUMP DAY!!! (Or, in camel language: AHUUURRRGH!)
This is a picture of me "chewing" next to Taz.  The next picture is of Uluru, one of the giant sandstone domes that the Aboriginal Australians believe is sacred.

We also took an Aberigional art class with a local artist named Pamela.  She taught us how to use different lines and dots to tell a story on a canvas.  I enjoyed the art class and I thought it was really clever to use symbols, like hieroglyphics, to tell a story.



Our teacher was an Aboriginal artist named Pamela.
Today, we also purchased some Aberigional art: one picture was of a starry night; another of honey-pot ants in the ground.  Here is a picture of my mom holding the starry night canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment